Friday, January 12, 2007

OLD-er people

Tonight we had dinner with our neighbors from across the street. Truly wonderful people. I'd say like grandparents--but really, maybe more like aunts and uncles. Come to find out one of them is 70 years old this year!

70, well it sounds old doesn't it? And when I say that, doesn't old sound bad? But really old of course is so incredibly relative--and more based on physical and emotional and mental capabilities--and disabilities than anything else (inherent bias there too).

But I was reminded again how much I value being friends with people, or at least close to people a generation--or even a good 10-years older than me. It reminded me of the long list--I feel compelled to publish this list sometime) of the people who challenged me and changed me this summer. From people only 4 years older...to people newly married in their early 30s to people my parent's age......to be in the more-equal company (differing from the true parent-child relationship) of older people--its a priviledge to be privy to their more private thoughts and wisdom.

To accomplish this goal, I hope to join a church that is either small enough where I can't get away without knowing older people....or forcing myself to spend intentional time with the older women my said-church. I can't wait to learn from older women.

Besides, they're always just so fun. Being in the company of older women always reminds me that my best times are those spent laughing and spending care-free time with groups of good girlfriends and women......yes, some would say estrogen...or just love and mutual understanding.

2 comments:

nate nichols said...

I was recently reflecting on a very similar thought. Doug and Marilyn Stewart spent the night at our house last week (they're old IV folk who've done some remarkable things). They're both pretty close to 70, but it was so great to spend time with them. So much wisdom and humor and compassion. Of course, Marilyn did try to recruit me to comeonstay in the Northwest region(she thinks they're doing some good stuff out there), but it was less of a recruitment pitch and more of a probing to see what it is i migth want to do. Doug and I stayed up late watching the College Football championship and talking about life. It was really wonderful. At college, i tend to forget about how valuable it is having older people in my life.

Erin said...

Hello Kate!
My name is Erin Ettesvold and I found your site through Common Ground community's website. (at least, I think it was Common Ground.. I've looked at so many!) I would be super interested in talking more with you about what you encountered this last summer! I'm one of those who has felt the move of the Spirit toward community and true following of Jesus, but to be honest, I'm not super passionate about things like organic/non-organic food, vegan vs. vegetarian, etc., etc. and though I feel convicted to live differently, I'm not really sure how. I would love to chat with you though! My email is emettesvold@yahoo.com. Let me know if you'd be up for visiting about it!