Thursday, January 25, 2007

Back at school

Gosh this keeping up with this blog thing is harder than I thought it'd be.

Well school has started.

I can't decide for the life of me what classes to take....to be honest, I'm currently signed up for 20 hours...I need to keep 12. That's just sad. I am feeling very indecisive. Maybe its that senior feeling that I need to make the most of all of my opportunities while I'm still an undergraduate.

Oh boy, how nostaligic I'm already beginning to sound.

----

Well recently I've also had a sort of "freak out" point on my major. Feeling maybe....in lieu of the LSAT that, considering my career goals (as if I know what they are), maybe I choose the wrong major. ). I really do believe in no regrets though....so I guess I'm more considering whether I'm going in the right direction for further studies.

An excerpt from that discussion....

I've come to realize I am not very good at the LSAT, or for now about 1/2 of it. Some have said this kind of training came through philosophy classes or something like that. --And of course it brings the subsequent jokes from friends of mine who are preparing for the exam with me and consistently making 10-15 points higher than I am, that I have chosen a "fluff" major and that my "knowledge" is not really "knowledge" at all.

This lead me to questioning the "value" of my sociology training.

But in terms of the "value" of a sociology education...

Do people often question sociology because it studies current life often, and leaves students examining their daily practices. I tend to think of sociology more as a way of rethinking what we already "know"--less of craming information as other disciplines might be.

Of course, sociology though has lead me to check out tons of books over breaks, read lots of case studies which give me a chance to get more "concrete" realistic type knowledge. But if we're just learning how to think...and I'd say the greatest lessons I've learned from William and Mary in sociology are critical thinking skills...does that make us "less" than the other disciplines?

I'm walking away from college with a lot less knowledge on specific social policy or laws or history than I believed I would...but I think I'm going to also have a different lens to encounter what I will in the future. It came up last year when I was applying for that Truman scholarship as well, realizing that I didn't have much to offer to a public policy perspective. I couldn't quote charity giving by Americans or propose a sound policy idea. And I wonder if other disciplines offer some kind of "training" that leads other people to feel confident doing that.


------

is it a midlife crisis?

or maybe just test anxiety to an extreme.........

or just senior year regrets or 2nd thoughts...........



hmmm

No comments: