Thursday, January 18, 2007

Absent

Well, to me, at least its been awhile since I've written on this blog....however, 3 days, of course that isn't that long.

Life's been moving a little slower around here.

This past weekend my grandmother died. I haven't had any idea what to say, because, well first, what is there to say? And second, while this is a place for personal thoughts, when I've got my family and others related watching, I feel reluctant to pour out my heart.

She's had alzheimer's most of my teenage-and-plus life, making it difficult to remember the person that she was, or her specific personality. And in someways this lacks the total-life interruption some deaths have brought to our family. But also this was sudden, when my grandfather died 7 years ago, it turned our lives upside down for at least a month. Sometimes, that feels more real.

Because of the crazed snow and ice winter weather hitting Texas this week, we've postponned the funeral--we're heading to Abilene (my parent's hometown) for a visitation and graveside service. It's been at least 2 years since I've been out there, and likely the next few times I go it will be for similar circumstances, funerals. Its a place that reminds me of older people, always associated with grandparents to me. But really, its West Texas in all its glory.

No comments: