Sunday, January 07, 2007

Book: Savage Inequalities

This Jonathan Kozol book paints a picture of what schools look like in 5 of the most struggling urban centers in America--East St. Louis, Il, San Antonio, TX; Washington DC; Camden, NJ; and New York City.

What strikes me about this book is that its 20 years old. And even last year and this year I've been to some of these places....and the conditions have not changed. Does that mean his writing meant nothing? That we as a people just don't care?

How does real change take place? Kozol paints a heart-wrenching picture of what life is like for children living in these poor areas, going to these schools recognizing that they are living in squalor (thanks to television, if nothing else).....but what is the response? I found myself at first reading thinking I'd some day want ot be a sociologist like him, write books that shock people and change the way they think about urban poverty.

--but does that change anything? Is the only preaching to the choir? How often do we like to sit back and hear the interesting points of socioeconomics and poverty that create a place to look like it does....but never back it up with our words or actions to change the face of a community? I am constantly struck by my pervasive social sin.....how my own prejudice often prefers to continue to live in ignorant bliss....and read of the "other world"---but to go and invest my life, love, time---and joy there.........actions do speak louder than words.

No comments: