Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Biking to work

As of Sunday I've been biking across Washington from Anacostia to Georgetown. I figure the whole route is about 7-8 miles, but I'm not sure. It takes about an hour each way, sometimes less. This is really joyous because riding the bus was taking upwards of almost 1.5 hours each way.
Besides just the physical exercise of having to bike--there are huge hills in Georgetown and Capitol Hill....well, never noticed that incline before.....I also get a unique chance to see most of the major sights of the city--twice a day even. I pass by the monuments, the capitol, Watergate hotel, the Anacostia and Potomac Rivers. I also feel the physical distance and economic contrast between the area where I work (Georgetown, possibly the wealthiest section of the city) and Anacostia, the lowest-income area of the district.
And besides riding on Pennsylvania Avenue up to the capitol....it's all on bike paths! So, much to my parent's relief....it's safe! I'll be in need probably of an updated bike sometime...but for now it's even been a money savings (no transportation costs!)....I could go on and on about the virtues of biking in the city.

1 comment:

nate nichols said...

well I'm glad you found a topic to blog about:) It's amazing how involving exercise into your commute can change your attitude. Whenever I walk to the metro instead of taking the bus, I tend to feel much more positive about what I'm doing, eventhough it takes at least 10 minutes longer.