Sunday, September 09, 2007

Cool Christians: Where did we go wrong?

Lately I've been thinking about the kinds of social definitions and hierarchies we set up for ourselves. Especially in terms of popularity--there's a human desire to always be looking around---who's cooler than me? who am I cooler than? It's horribly unfortunate when this kind of mentality happens with Christian people--but especially when it takes place within the body of Christ itself.

In one of the lesser known Don Miller books he talks about how we all live with a lifeboat mentality--we're constantly trying to order ourselves against others (who deserves to get in the lifeboat?). I have been struck recently by how much close friends of mine (and myself) go to great lengths to describe how they are a "cool kind of Christian."

There's the whole postmodern Christianity thing. It's about showing that we're not like those kinds of Christians who were traditional, rigid, conservative. It's also the socially-aware Christian.....I'm not like those kinds of Christians who don't get justice or who think global warming is bunk or focus too much on personal salvation. It happens with the partying Christians....I'm not like those kinds of Christians who won't be in the presence of alcohol, who maybe struggle to hold a conversation, or who just aren't "fun" or popular.

We're constantly trying to show ourselves and others how we're the kinds of Christians others would like to be around. We really get the gospel. We should be the ones doing all the evangelism. We should be the ones taking over the churches, the fellowships. We should only trust those with similar opinions.

We find all kinds of social identifiers and labels for classifying who's in and who's out. We call ourselves and others like us the liberal/social-action minded/radically-obedience/"you-know"/different Christians. Those in mega-churches or with prudent behavioral choices or with seemingly prescribed theology need not apply.

I am ashamed by the depth of my judgmental nature and unwillingness to listen to and learn from those of the body of Christ who by human standards remain foreign to us.

***1 Corinthians 12:21 The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!"***


How I need to learn to value/listen to/learn from the parts of the body I've taught myself to despise and tell myself I don't need.

3 comments:

nate nichols said...

hey, I like this one. I'd imagine that between working at georgetown, living in community in anacostia, and going to church at NCC and somewhere else (anacostia somewhere?), you'll find yourself interacting with all different parts of the body.

Also, sorry I haven't been as active in encouraging your posting and helping you with ideas. job stuff's gotten crazy busy (and will be for the next month), but I'm working on doing a better job.

see you thursday!

Amy said...

Kate! I've been meaning to visit your blog for some time, and now my really slow temp job gave me the perfect opportunity. I love the way you're working through stuff here, and I will definitely be an active blog-checker roommate!

Unknown said...

Kate,

So nice to hear from you. I saw your prayers listed in your email. I wanted you to know our prayers are with you every step of the way. I see the challenges you face, in the community and in yourself. Tough, but attainable with His help. Continue to behave as a Christian should.

Bless you all the way....