Friday, September 14, 2007

Visiting the Homeland

Last weekend I had the opportunity to go back to Williamsburg, Virginia where I went to school.

I had a great time visiting friends....and remembering what it's like to really "belong" in a place. With all this transition and "newness" in my life here in DC, Williamsburg and the people there really felt like home.

Many of my good friend were out of town for the weekend which gave me ample time to hang out with my younger brother, currently a freshman. We did many freshman things--ate at the caf, went out to the fraternity parties, and hung out on his hall until 4am. He's having a great time and has some good friends. It will be a good place for him.

We even took an adventerous visit to New Town by bike....we went out for dinner for pizza followed by a movie (will's favorite activity)--Shoot 'em Up. The craziest part--the ride back....apparently there are no street lamps in Williamsburg.....yikes....biking in the dark. We'll reconsider before doing that again!

Besides some wonderful time pre-planned before with friends, I also had a great opportunity to run into people on campus. I heard about one friend's awesome summer mission experience and her difficulty adjusting back to the WM community since then. I ran into one friend who'd just broken up with someone--and I had time to stop and listen. I got to spend a lot of time with the WM InterVarsity staff worker who gave me some of the "secrets of the trade" I'd never heard before.....as well as some really key advice and goals to set out for myself over the next couple of weeks. I heard the college president share about his journey of faith....followed by an adventure to ask him for a ride to DC. Only a visit 4 days long would afford these kinds of great experiences.

Before I left a group of friends gathered to pray over me.....for my ministry with InterVarsity and for my time in DC. I felt loved and accepted.....and "sent." Thank you everyone.

1 comment:

nate nichols said...

Did you seriously ask Gene Nichol for a ride back to DC??