Thursday, December 21, 2006

12/20 Reflections on first semester senior year

Life, of course is busy. I, however, have an awful memory. Maybe its the blessing for us achievement-oriented types---the ability to constantly forget what you've just finished, never able to be comfortable, always needing to strive for something more.

However, in my relentless pursuit of doing new things and keeping my life moving, I often forget where I've been, what I've learned, and what kind of amazing blessings have fallen (to use an interesting verb) into my life.

So, to help myself out a bit, starting over a year ago, on my plane ride home from school I pull out my calendar and make a list of all the major events of my semester (new relationships, major conversations/thought patterns, major events). Its been an awesome time of praise each semester.

Highlights from the 5-page list of major events of 1st semester senior year:
-volunteering with Alzhiemer's seniors at Williamsburg Landing, George Marble a wonderful ex-navy man who told me many times about his boats
-speaking about Zaccheus at New Student Retreat for Intervarsity
-3 new girls in Yates cont. Bible study
-month on 1 crutch
-Living with three amazing women
-First percussion concert of college
-nights at the Ho House karyokee
-Hancock Pledge class social at the Leafe: alphabet game!
-an engaged roommate
-Catalyst conference and a wonderful group of older people from rural Tennessee
-Brian Lewis speaking at InterVarsity
-IJM Food and Justice panel
-Getting my "ebeneezer" ripped from my face
-Senior Class Gift affairs
-Getting to meet some new/unknown before amazing members of the class of 2007
-Trips to: Atlanta, Petersburg, Ligonier, Washington DC

Songs of the semester: Taking the Long Way Around, Dixie Chicks
Painting Pictures of Egypt, Sara Grooves

Thoughts/Revelations:
-Christianity and politics: can we be involved? is anarchism Christ's way?
-the reality of downward mobility: somewhere along the line taking the way against the world stops being sexy and starts being hard and actually downward
--focus on your strengths: is this really a Christ-like way of thinking about ourselves? our ministries?--looking at what we're good at and learning to get even better at it?
-How do you continue to challenge and come alongside people who you've been in long relationship with?
-deconstructing the individualism of Western christianity....where have we infused individualism into the message of Christ?--considering how often people claim "calling" as a reason to make decisions/go or not go somewhere...is this valid?
~however, where are we going so far to forget that Christ loves each of us and desires transformation for each of us?

No comments: