Thursday, December 21, 2006

12/19: book: Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell

I started reading this book with two wonderful women in my life about 10 days ago.

We've had a great time, deconstructing his arguments and understanding his call to "repaint" our view of faith and be flexible in our theology--remembering that Christ remains central. But also recognizing that every generation that claimes to have "found it" in terms of Biblical interpretation, etc....is just as culturally influenced as the one that came before.

Basically, before I'd read it, I decided it was more of this post-modern Christian genre. Basically true. However, its always good to continue to be challenged. And I'm continually challenged by recognizing that this whole post-modern, deconstruction thing....is a very new idea for some people....and that's ok.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohh ... please don't sneeze on post-modernism quite yet! There is a lot of good stuff in the midst of the piles of discussion ;-)
PBC