Wednesday, December 13, 2006

12/13 Christian Hippies #8

location: washington DC
These people possibly are this next iteration of this “new monastic” thing. Maybe what will follow once people get overexcited by Shane’s book. What happens next? How will they go about changing their lives?
What I’ve encountered in DC is a growing community of people who are searching out what it would look like to live these values of community and social justice in their everyday lives. They’re considering moving in together, I stayed with 5 already sharing a home. They’re figuring out what kinds of neighborhoods they want to invest with, where those will be and how long they can commit to being there. The community is growing. I stayed with 5 but I met another 5 at least and have heard of at least 20 or so more.
So what comes to mind for me, if there is this growing community of people here in DC just incited by reading this book….what does the rest of the country look like post-Irresistible Revolution? Is it the impact of a book? Probably not in comparison to the spirit of God moving among people looking to live out faith in a different way.
But how to tell them that not everyone looks like the Simple Way? So many people are living in multiple homes, are married and singles together, or just married couples….what about all those that have jobs outside the community, actually, in fact almost every place looks like that.

But for the first time, probably because I wasn’t walking in the “I’m I college, wanting to study you” mode, I felt like I could be a visionary for them, a partner in what they’re doing. Could I join completely and feel uninhibited about that? Not yet, but maybe in time.
It felt like a community of people, people that I could get along with, be friends with, who could support me in life, or at least would try.

No comments: