Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Is anybody here?

Rachel Berryman came to visit me last night on her day off from art camp. It was absolutely amazing to see her, see something new and exciting on fire and light up inside of her spirit! I can't wait to watch her attack WM with new excitment. It was great to hear not only some about Prauge, but also her Eurotrip and this summer, it felt really special.

We wandered our way over to another part of Providence I hadn't been to yet--Atwell Ave, the Italian section, some have said the remanant of the mafia area of town I think? But its a pretty hoping street, we had pizza for dinner and wine and gelatto/cannoli dessert, it was pretty neat.

But we're walking over there, and I'm all excited to show Rachel this new city I've found, all the history I've discovered...and there's basically no one around, it seemed this small city was largely abandoned. I'm telling her stories of Providence Revitalization plans and then realizing that Providence is still working its way back to something right now. Its still a very small city--174,000 people. We would turn streets and we could walk in the street. It was odd to realize I live on the east-side busy section of town and pretty much the next consistently busy section is Atwell Ave, which requires a bit of walking to get to and a cut over 95.

I'd only been to Providence during the day really before, and I'd only stayed in the clearly downtown areas. I've done quite a bit of wandering and for the most part, now I've seen just about all there is to see of Providence in terms of major landmarks and areas. Maybe last night was a good time to notice a turning point, to notice that maybe this city isn't exactly what I thought it was, and what a good time to do it too.....with still 3 weeks left to explore.

I wonder if I could live in New England, poll, am I up for it?

No comments: