Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Southlake Flea Market

A brief stint with the Southlake Flea Market.
The Southlake Flea market seems to be the brush with culture that Southlake is missing. Granted most people there are most likely not from Southlake, it was an interesting morning.

For one, going to school in a high school probably 95+% white, I believe I saw more minorities in my time there than I have during all my time at home. Almost everyone there spoke spanish. The "taco trucks" were out. I bought cut cocconut from a vendor. Small latino children everywhere.

Some other interesting things at the flea market....2 Buddhist monks in full dress (largest buddhist temple in texas is a town over), and always some sort of bird for sale, today pretty normal, ducks and chickens.

Sadly though there are some kind of tragic things that do come to mind there. Why are people reselling cheap cereal and shampoo, there's a definite desperation in that. I wonder if its cheaper than in the store, I wonder if some families buy their "groceries" here. Some trucks look like they are selling nothing but truly junk, old electronics or furniture, or knock off clothing. Does anyone every buy from these people? Is this a lifestyle or a hobby? Do they have a home or are they living in their trucks?

How long the Southlake flea market will survive, its hard to tell. Rumor has it its still around because the ex-mayor's mother owns the whole enterprise and wanders around in her golf cart collecting renters fees from people. 114 front property, probably soon to be another commercial enterprise, strip mall. Then what? The people of the flea market will just get pushed out again, to some other place for their Tuesday mornings at least.

1 comment:

Josh said...

Hmmm, Southlake grad...doing work on Emergent and alternative worship communities. Sounds like me, but it's not. I would love to talk with you about your work as we seem to be crossing paths. drop me a line at joshpackard@gmail.com. I'll be in the Lake this weekend and later this month.