Monday, June 12, 2006

An inherited wandering spirit

So maybe its the devotional I've been reading lately (Beth Moore's Breaking Free) which talked this past week about family history and family traits and their effects on our lives....or maybe I'm just thinking too much.

But I think I've inherited my father's love/habit/knack for wandering. Some would call it a love for random road trips. Others, probably my brother, would call it an annoyance. We like to drive long distances to go see some landmark/scene/place, stay for maybe 30 minutes, walk around and then drive back. Generally we go alone. By that I mean we both do this, separately I've found....though we've done it together too [the random road trip to go find Crawford and Bush's residence, protestor house]. Most of the time we don't even talk to anyone.

At least it makes for a good story....and often some good pictures as well.

I took a stop by Texas A&M/College station the other day. This is another trait of my father's, wandering aimlessly around college campuses for no particular reason. I wandered, took a good lap around the campus for about an hour, took a picture of the water tower, walked up and down what seemed to be the main drag in town, a hour later, was on my way.

There's a love for the peculiar. I remember a trip I planned to go see where an alien sighting had been 100 years before. My father has a special liking for family history. Once we hopped a stranger's fence and ended up in their backyard in a family cemetary.

Regardless, this spirit also makes for a love for loner vacations. Possibly why going to new york alone was a great experience for me. Makes me excited about all the places I will get to explore this summer.

No comments: