Sunday, August 26, 2007

Growing up is hard to do

My parents visited me here this past weekend.....new city, new friends, new job.......new everything.

It was a mixed bag. For one, it was wonderful to see them. This past month has been all things hard, stressful, stretching and uncertain.....between moving here without a place to live, moving in with strangers, and not really starting my job until this weekend......it's not been a smooth transition. Don't get me wrong--its an amazing blessing to literally walk into a community of people here, a job I'm very excited about and a life full of a lot of potential.

I was very thankful to have my mother's shoulder to cry on, literally and express genuine emotions. So many people do not have honest relationships with their families--and I am thankful for how my parents take me as I am and don't make me feel like I have to "try" too hard ever.

Regardless, being an overachiever about life in general, I do try to do things right for them. At this--well I didn't quite live up to par. I got us thoroughly lost a few times, coupled with my bad city/tourist driving....left us all a little frazzled at the end of the day. I was disappointed things didn't quite work out right--couldn't get dinner together with all the housemates and couldn't walk around downtown Washington.

It is difficult to communicate often the honesty of the emotions I am feeling in so many of these situations so far--coupled with the realistic potential and hope I see. I know currently they are anxious and empathetic on behalf of me--I am thankful for this but also pray that I will be able to move us all into an active hope and trust that this will all come together. My job will start. I will be able to become better friends with the girls I'm living with and others. We will find some way to interact with the neighborhood.

But for now, I am thankful to have them around as a reminder that I don't always have to be put together or "on top of everything"--sometimes it's ok to fall apart, cry, complain and just plain not know what to do.

No comments: