Monday, August 20, 2007

Anacostia, a general description of my impressions so far

Anacostia is the name of the neighborhood here "East of the River" as we say. The District is a small area with 2 rivers cutting from the bottom. To the west bellow the river is Virginia, to the east, the area is still in the district--it's just the part no one goes to. The sewage treatment plant is there, an army base is there.....and well the poor people are there too. But it's actually starting to gentrify quite abit. Whether I'll feel great purpose in being here in 10 years.....well we'd have to see. Anacosita could become prime real estate.

But for now its an all-black neighborhood (though i've heard rumors of another white family/group), mostly low income. There are problems with drugs, prostitution, teenage pregnancy, poor nutrition......but from where we are and what I've seen so far, honestly its a bit difficult to tell, that that's the case. Funny in some ways, knowing its here mostly by the plethora of non-profit organizations doting every street corner--but also probably some ingrained prejudice in me that somehow knows that an all-black neighborhood is probably ridden with social problems.

There are also two general sections of the neighborhood--the more business/busy area of town where more of the non-profits are, the businesses, and also more of the violence and crime. Of course, being so new to town, I'm probably missing things taking place right in front of my eyes as well. But where we are living is actually pretty quiet and residential. Most of the people on our block are elderly or have grown children--some own their homes or at least have lived here for 10years+. It is a stable area. Our neighbors are friendly--but we also don't have best friends just yet either.

The other day when I went on a historic walking tour of Anacostia the tour guide was talking about economic development in the area and how people in the neighborhood--as residents, living daily lives, want more business and retail in the area--and less nonprofit organizations. She said, for her, seeing all the nonprofit organizations gave the idea that her neighborhood was only a charity case to others, not worthy of sitdown restaurants or a coffee shop. I was really struck by this point of hers....and now living here myself....I'd have to say, a part of me agrees--with hestiance, trying to understand the implications of that opinion, but interested nonetheless.

I also went to a play in the business section of Anacostia the other day about violence against women. It was a more diverse crowd than I'd seen in the neighborhood so far, white and black people attended. My gut reaction sometimes is to think things like the arts and money coming in is bad--but then I also have to wonder what kind of progress am I really hoping for around here anyway?

1 comment:

Jeff Thomas said...

Why do you think artists and money coming in might be bad? Artists often go into a depressed area early while it is cheap to live there. They make the area a lot better, and then others come in (for instance Deep Elum in the past, the Cedars District in South Dallas, the Bishops Arts District in Oak Cliff). But I'm interested in your point of view. You have more experience at this than I do.
But I was actually looking of a way to contribute to what you are doing. Belinda and I would like to do so. Your recent mailing was teriffic, but I can't get into the website on it (which is really hard to read because it is too small for old farts like mt). The website on your refrigerator manate is really great, but I can't find a place to contribute. I just thought of the intervarsiy.org website on your refrigerator magnate. I'll take a look there. Jeff Thomas