Friday, August 31, 2007

Dumpster Diving

Last night....myself and a few friends went dumpster diving. If you are unfamiliar with the term, I suggest doing a google search. Essentially we went behind several establishments and recovered/redeemed...whatever flowery term you want to choose....leftover food that had been thrown out. Most were posted to expire today.
Great experience! For one--well the adventure is great....two, legally, we're pretty sure it's ok. But the best is the feeling of surprise....what will you get? a chocolate cake? broccoli? apple pie--4 apple pies? All of the above of course! We kept a lot of bread because that keeps very well in the freezer. I had enough muffins to feed the table of interested students today on campus.
It's a great way to make the best of otherwise unused resources--and especially to get the kind of "junk food" I'd never allow myself to buy otherwise!

No comments: