Thursday, May 11, 2006

Visiting Christian Hippies #1

5/9
Wow, has it been an intense 48 hours. The people of this community. Well at first I didn’t think they would like me, I was too naïve, or too much of a girl at a rock concert for her favorite band; however, being aware, and really deathly afraid of coming off as this girl, I instead tried to play it somewhat cool. However, this is a hard task to do when you are constantly having to ask questions, but for sociological reasons, of course. Well, there are some odd lifestyle points that do stick out to me that I found particularly challenging. For one, the place is always clean. For some reason, the like to keep all the doors to rooms open, meaning the beds must be more than made. This could be difficult. Doable, though I’m sure. I was relieved to find that it really seemed like everyone showered every day. However, one guy was definitely wearing exactly the same outfit the second day. It was an extraordinary outfit, tunic, and cut out finger gloves and all, but wow! Another interesting point—of those who talk about dating in the house, they are both engaged to either seminary students or people living in similar communities, aren’t these people all of the same breed? A little weird? Do they have any other friends? I wonder if this lifestyle repeals people.
I have had a semi-revelation, well at least for a day. I was going to buy an ipod this summer for this project but convictions I gathered from my time here that I did not really “need” this frivolous item. Besides, trying to be someone to engage with the people around me, is difficult to do with head phones in your head.

No comments: