Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Dentist

It's funny to me how everything that consitutes being kind, politically powerful, and just Southern in Southlake, Texas is synonomous with nominal Christianity.

I love my dentist. They are the nicest people, all of them. Most everyone working there has been there for the 11 years I've gone there. The dentist and his main secretary are the uncles of one of my friends from high school...and fancy that, they're related to the family who is the mayor. Oh, Southlake politics. The family has a major road named after them.

Again the blurring of the lines of religion, though. For instance, my mayor, barely involved in my church, sang at my church at the post-September 11th service held to comfort people and pray for others. I remember feeling somewhat troubled by this. I'm not sure if I had some idea that religion and politics shouldn't mix....or what it was. Its funny though, pretty much any politician looking to get elected in this town must very publically (in flyers sent in the mail normally) announce their church membership, ususally to our church or the other mega church.

But back to the dentist. The soft-rock Christian station plays in the background. I wish they'd play the more alternative Christian station...but that might mess up their precision with their instruments. Made me think about what brands of music are "unoffensive".....well looking for a lack of curse words, hmmm instrumental? Christian? oldies? But this is Texas, so Christian music it is. Probably anywhere else in the country and Christian music might be offensive.

I wonder if they only hire Christian people here? Do they pray in the morning? hmmm the blurring of the sacred and profane......

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Wow, I might have a hard time living in texas.

Yes, I am reading your blog. And yes, expect some comments.