Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving Break

It's been awhile since I've done a general life update kind of blog entry.
Here's one.

Thanksgiving break was great. Tuesday evening I left campus earlier than any Tuesday this semester (our usual large group night has me at campus until almost 10:30/11 most weeks). I met up with a friend from elementary school who's now a bartender at the only mexican food happy hour joint near my end of DC. There I got to meet some great characters--a homeless man who sells the paper made by homeless of DC, the blind jazz singer Banana Cafe hires).

Next I got to spend the evening with a great Texas friend Nikki and her boyfriend. Along with her brother who I hadn't seen in at least a year! I'd heard about her boyfriend for a long time before and it was great to meet someone who exceeded expecations and thoughts I'd had before about him. Really great!

After spending the night at Nikki's UT housing spot, I took the train up to Philadelphia where WM roommate Janelle picked me up. We spent the afternoon hanging around Camden, NJ looking around her ministry with Urban Promise. I got to meet the old regional director of Mid Atlantic InterVarsity, dedicated administrative staff and talk to other interns--including one from Malawi!

Janelle and I took a longer-than usual (busyest travel day of the year!) trip up the NJ turnpike to her home in Little Falls, New Jersey.

While in Little Falls, we got to go into New York for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (a 2nd for me--but this time 60 degrees outside! great day!). We went to a close family friend's 25th wedding anniversy celebration which was a wonderful celebration of family and loving life together. We also spent an afternoon with Rebecca, a girl who'd been in the small group Janelle and I co-lead for all 3 years we lead it.
Just spending time with Janelle's family was great--good to see where she gets much of herself from--from her sarcasm to attention to detail and the needs of others. Hospitality is something she's learned from those closest to her.

I ended off getting dropped off by Janelle in Philadelphia for a short visit with a couple of friends there.
My friend Sean is investment banking in the city center, it's great to experience city life with him! I also got to see my friend Evan from college who's doing Americorp's "City Year" program in Philadelphia this year. They begin each day doing cheers and jumping jacks outside the city hall area of town. A lot of fun to see him enjoying this position so much and embracing the multifaceted sides of this city!

Great break!

No comments: