Monday, November 26, 2007

Communicating Values

Lately I've been thinking alot about my time spent with students.

Much of my time as "campus staff" for InterVarsity is spent one-on-one with students, essentially talking. Talking, eating, listening, drinking coffee.

So either I have a very vibrant social life (which I wouldn't totally deny on some days)--or there's something else going on there--something a little deeper and possibly more spiritual than just hanging out.

But what is it? What exactly is my goal in this "relational" discipleship process?

Goal 1: build a relationship. Before any person--college student or not is going to share intimately of their personal life or spiritual being--the person inquiring needs to show genuine interest in them as a person. Interest in what their passions are, their past, their friends, their desires. There's a prerequisite of simply taking the time to listen to someone and befriend them.

But once it goes beyond this--often the waters become murky. With some wise guidance I've begun to think about the kinds of values I am imparting to others. Essentially thinking of these times with students as potential one-on-one teaching opportunities.
But what am I teaching?
I think we all teach lessons we don't always think too deeply about. I know in the past I've show people who've respected me in similar form to students now the importance of worrying about academics or obssessing about relationships, fearing the future, etc. Of course these weren't the lessons I really wanted to teach or communicate--but by talking about these things constantly--I showed what really mattered to me in life.

So this process is two-fold. One, searching, praying and seeking for what I really do value when it comes to the Christian life. Is grace something that I see as essential? I say it is. But do I live that way? Do I teach that? So discovering what values I find essential to a healthy Christian walk.

Then discovering ways to communicate these values to others. Probably this takes many formats--reading books related to the subjects (books about grace, social justice, whatever I know to be truly important), praying for growth in those areas, Asking students questions about these values--and learning to talk about what God's teaching me on each.

Maybe first I should choose a few values.....or even just one thing I'd hope students who spend time with me even after a semester would walk away having learned about being in relationship with God.

What's important to know/exercise as a Christian? open to thoughts and suggestions......

No comments: