Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Searching for Sabbath

During InterVarsity Orientation Training we got a 24-hour period of off-time. It was designated as a "Sabbath" period.

In true InterVarsity fashion, they gave us a handout with some scripture on it and the reasoning behind why taking a rest/sabbath period (likening to when God rested on the 7th day after creation) is good for staff work....and some suggestions for things to do.

In true me fashion, I of course heeded the suggestion. I ended up seeing 2 sets of friends that came into town. Physically I was still pretty exhausted....and started to doubt whether I really was as extroverted as I thought....or if I just needed a good nap and unscheduled time.

By the next day, I took the middle of the day by myself at least to get everything done I've needed to do.....but did I really take a Sabbath? What counts? Is it "taking time off"? More about reconnecting with God? (odd, because some devotional books suggest taking a day off from the "work" of their reading/activities....which seems counter-intuitive to this idea of reconnecting with God). But maybe this Sabbath rest is more about abiding in the presence of God?

What about Sabbath for an extrovert? Is it inherently more social? However, maybe I'm then presupposing that Sabbath always has to include retreat.


I've had a lot of trouble being home finding real rest. There's a strong pressure to always be working, always getting something done. Trying to get funding to 100%.....leaves me often feeling like I'm wasting any time that could be better spent towards that end. During the day I have more free time often than in the evenings when I have meetings or need to make phone calls. Before, having been a work-now-play-later kind of person....all day I feel somewhat guilty for putting off my major work until evening.

It's something I'm going to have to really learn. Any suggestions welcome. How to Sabbath? What the heck to do as Sabbath? Napping or sitting in front of the TV or facebook seem like a waste of time. However, all of these by-yourself activities feel really lonely often to me too. Yet, I just feel exhausted sometimes. Sometimes I think it is just allowing myself the mental vacation from thinking about InterVarsity 24/7.

No comments: