Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Reading: Gandhi

This quote from Gandhi's autobiography has struck me recently.... (reminds me of many things Christians say about making vows as well).

The importance of vows grew upon me more clearly than ever before.

I realized that a vow, far from closing the door to real freedom, opened it. Up to this time I had not met with success because the will had been lacking, because I had had no faith in myself, no faith in the grace of God, and therefore, my mind had been tossed on the boisterous sea of doubt. I realized that in refusing to take a vow man was drawn into temptation, and that to be bound by a vow was like a passage from libertinism to a real monogamous marriage. 'I believe in effort, I do not want to bind myself with vows,' is the mentality of weakness and betrays a subtle desire for the thing to be avoided. Or where can be the difficulty in making a final decision ? I vow to flee from the serpent which I know will bite me, I do not simply make an effort to flee from him. I know that mere effort may mean certain death. Mere effort means ignorance of the certain fact that the serpent is bound to kill me. The fact, therefore, that I could rest content with an effort only, means that I have not yet clearly realized the necessity of definite action.'But supposing my views are changed in the future, how can I bind myself by a vow ? ' Such a doubt often deters us. But that doubt also betrays a lack of clear perception that a particular thing must be renounced.

1 comment:

Monk-in-Training said...

I got this from a Novice in my Order, and wanted to share it with you.

I never dreamed that the vow of poverty could enrich my life so abundantly. I never imagined that the vow of chastity would allow me to love so many and with such passion. I never thought that the vow of obedience would grant me such freedom.