Friday, August 18, 2006

I sing songs about Texas

Location: Southlake, Texas

Short life update, I left Camden Sunday afternoon. Sunday morning I went to a wonderful service at Sacred Heart Catholic church in South Camden, a beautiful community lead by Father Michael Doyle, a famous local activist. It was so vibrant, alive and loving. Very different from Renaissance, but surely community as well. It kept getting better and better. There was a concert at the end from the Psalters...and I got to know some great Urban Promise summer interns. One girl had a similar story in her "journey to camden," lead by the UP workgroup guy reuben at least a year ago as well.

Two other girls let me join them as they walked the streets to say goodbye to kids. That was such a wonderful different view of the city, watching them really greet people/be friendly, not afraid, seeing kids run up to them. It was also hard though to see where these kids play (outside of an abandoned house/liquor store......the air smelling again of mixed sewage/factory bacon smell/trash.......there's no escaping, its suffocating).

Since Camden, I spent a couple days with Janelle and others. Sunday evening we went to Rebecca H's church for the summer, a great young vibrant community that she's really loved. Rachel hung out until the next day and then Janelle and I went to Ellis Island museum which was very interesting. We'd come in expecting to see all the horrors of immigration discussed to find a very positive side of it all....made us think about the framing of ideas in one light or another.

Back home Wednesday evening in Texas finally......mexican food stops of course, Chipotle and Anamias of course. I've learned how to make some other forms of mexican food in anticipation of a kitchen in ludwell.
It's also been great to be back, feel the 109 degree heat---not totally sarcastic....there's nothing like a texas summer night, 93 degrees currently, humidity only 41% is beautiful.

I've also gotten to get back together with a great friend from high school I hadn't seen in almost a year, again, always amazes me that all in all we're not too different. Gosh I think about what Laura Newkirk says alot of times......that she'd love to have all the people she loves be together and know one another, to be around all the time......what a dream, but I wish I could take this friend with me, along with so many others that i've met and have them with me always.

Dreaming? Isn't that what weddings are for? Or maybe heaven?

2 comments:

Common Ground Community said...

Kate... so much fun reading about your summer adventure! And so glad you could spend a litle time with us. Hopefully, our paths will cross again soon, and we can hear in person about your experiences and the changes they may have made within you. It amazes me how God brings folks together from all over. Even if for only a short time. Like threads in some beautiful chaotic weave. Thanks for sharing your story. bri

Ryan Lee Sharp said...

I wonder if we met at PAPAfest...cool that you were just with the Haws and clan at Sacred Heart. They're good folks up there.

Southlake, ey? My parents are in Flower Mound.

Did we meet at PAPAfest? My wife has a shaved head and was pregnant (just trying to give you mental cue)...anyway.

Be well.