Saturday, January 19, 2008

Gracism: inclusion and love

I often write in someway inspired by a book I've read. It helps me summarize and think through the book.

This book I'm still thinking through, this may just be a way for me to remember key points to myself...so bear with me if it's therefore boring.

Gracism: the Art of Inclusion by Anderson
This book says what if we combined the terms grace and racism--we'd get gracism. When trying to combat racism in society, as Christians we bring the grace of Christ into a situation, looking to include the person who might otherwise be left out.

Sometimes this has to do with race--sometimes it's martial status (like when I'm the only single person at the IV christmas party....) or gender or some other factor that might leave an individual feeling left out in any given situation.

I was excited by the book's emphasis on how we can give people places of honor and concern in many situations--to me if parallels some of the themes of "Love is the Killer App"--saying that rather than erring on the side of giving/loving/sharing less we as Christ lovers should err on the side of giving/loving/sharing more, even when it's uncomfortable--and sometimes when it can be controversial. Choosing to operate on the abundancy, gracious side of God is something I'm learning to do daily.

Seven Sayings of a Gracist:
1. "Special Honor"--lifting up the humble among us. I will lift you up.
2. "Special Modesty"--protecting the most vulnerable among us from embarrassment. I will cover you.
3. "No special treatment"--refusing to accept special treatment if is is at the detriment of others who need it. I will share with you.
4. "Greater Honor"--God, as a gracist, has given greater honor to the humble. I will honor you. 5. "No division"--when the majority helps the minority and the stronger helps the weaker (gracism), it keeps us from division within the body (an opposite view than normal). I will stand with you.
6. "Equal Concern"--having a heart as big for our neighbors as we do for oursleves. I will consider you.
7. "Rejoices with it"--when the humble, or less honorable, are helped, we are to rejoice with them. (It's easier to weep with those who weep than to rejoice with those who rejoice). I will celebrate with you.

Some quotes I liked:
"wouldn't it be great if our natural reaction and impulse was to include rather than exclude?"

instead of an "us versus them" mentality--choosing an "us" mentality--us, we're in this together.

1 comment:

Janelle said...

cool to hear about this "gracism"--especially that it's an active thing, not just an attitude you can acquire and then sit back. i think it's particularly important here in america where middle class christianity is the large majority. the majority must make extra intentional efforts to recognize exlusionary practices and not be afraid to step up and include the minority. i've been thinking alot about this too in regards to america's position of influence in the world. keep posting good stuff, kate--love hearing your thoughts! see you soon!