Friday, December 28, 2007

Church Hunt

In earlier posts I've said that I've actually found two churches in DC--I split my time between two congregations--an gospel-style Catholic congregation in Anacostia and a non-denominational, contemporary congregation that meets in movie theaters near Georgetown University.

While this is true--when I'm back in Southlake at White's Chapel I'm struck with how not "mine" these churches--and the church I went to in college was.

Will I ever be able to really be involved in the community of a congregation like that again? Especially now that I'm in a ministerial occupation--I feel so stretched thin, especially when it comes to ability and free time to lead evening or weekend activities.

But being home, I think about how my family has really invested in the life of our home church--for one we've been going there since I was 10 years old--soon to be 13 years. We went to Sunday school, did Vacation bible school, I was an accolyte, I worked in the church nursery, was the receptionist for awhile, active in the youth group, mission trips, my mom teaches Sunday School, my dad's a communion server, my mom's in the choir, we usher and serve communion. While there are certainly more visible, involved families--a large portion of our life's energy goes into that place. Even when things happen there we don't like (as will happen in any church situation)--we don't leave, we commit to being part of the change.

But getting to that place took a lot of energy. Maybe it's because we were a family--my parents worked on a generally 9-5 schedule, making them available for weekend and evening functions. They didn't get this involved in a church until they started having kids--it's a place for kids to grow up in (that's a whole other blog topic on what we go to church expecting to "receive"--but for another day). But I don't want to be someone who doesn't commit to a church significantly until I have children--that could be over 10 years!

But I see myself caught in a difficult place--I want to know people at church. I want to have the time to do that first.

But also I want to know that I've chosen the place I want to settle down and commit to sticking through difficult times, being part of the change again. But now, when I go to two congregations--and really have no friends in either--it's difficult to think I'm in a great place ot start making those decisions.


But then given my job--working nights, being gone weekends and long school breaks--will this ever happen? It speaks to larger issues of having trouble getting involved really anywhere or making new friends or even getting to know my housemates.
-But really my job effects my choice in church in more than a scheduling dillema. This is where I'd start to take issue with someone who is so thoroughly convinced that InterVarsity is not a church--it is a gathering, a body of believers. And I am appointed to help shepherd this part of God's flock. Or something like that.

And beyond that I'm heavily involved in a community--the community of my house--and the larger network of DC area community homes. I see that really as my church congregation if anything--I have leadership and contribution there--but it's not a formal organization, there's not a weekly meeting in a specific building.

It's somewhat like a relationship--you have to commit and see it through. At this stage it looks like a lot of time and alot of work--and when I can see some of the later stages (my church in southlake)--it's hard to remember what the beginning was like....

But still I have trouble when pondering how this fits in with my parachurch job and community living?

Please comment! email! anything!

2 comments:

Common Ground Community said...

Many of us at Common Ground also split time between multiple churches. Put in the mix additional time with community, and the time in Cedar Grove, and it is certainly not a 9-5 schedule. Often, I long for a more organized "worship" schedule. But then I think how ridiculous the idea of worshiping on a schedule might be. Though, I am still trying to figure out how to make all the connections, I know I lack in respecting the Sabbath, and setting aside the 7th day. My always busy-busy lifestyle has to really work at that. Thanks for sharing on this topic. You are not alone in these thoughts. peace.bri

Dr. K said...

Kate, love seeing your part of the Body of Christ. What a beautiful assembly,
Dr. K