Monday, March 17, 2008

Holy Week

As many of you know, I've been attending a Catholic church in my neighborhood in Washington,DC.

This week is holy week--I'm really looking forward to getting to participate in many of the activities both on campus at Georgetown with students and with my church in the neighborhood.

For palm sunday, for instance, we did a parade around the neighborhood (I came with 30 college students in-tow from two colleges visting for spring break trips) waving palms around and handing out palms to people we encountered on the street as we marched and sang loudly.

Coming up, there are several services on campus, maundy thursday, good friday and easter morning!

I think it's been since high school that I've been able to focus on the events of Holy week--take the happiness of palm sunday......actually attend Thursday and Friday to understand what happens.....in order to have "walked the journey" come Sunday when the easter choruses begin!
In college it's so easy to get caught up in school work or yourself and forget the rest of the world even exists!

My georgetown students however get this thursday, friday and next monday, tuesday off....so they get to go home or hopefully reconnect with a faith community to celebrate.

No comments: